Thursday, March 25, 2010

L32: Again

They, whomever they may be, say history repeats itself.  I'm generally and principally skeptical of maxims, especially reductionist maxims, no matter how true they hold to be; that seems a process of dumb luck or conditioning.

But I do wonder how God uses experiences to prepare us for what's to come, if circumstances are to, at least on some level, repeat.

There are some things I never want to go through again and the Lord has graciously prevented them from repeating and I've gained lessons from those experiences that I don't think I'll need to relearn.  But as God is omniscient, as he knows our future, and as he grows us through life experience, there's a certain place where lesson in principal and training intersects with preparation.  Indeed, I sometimes wonder if God ever has us learn lessons we don't end up using.  I don't know, but I do know he knows a lot more about our future than math teachers who remind students daily that they never know where they might need math in the future.  God knows where we'll need what he teaches us in the future.

I don't know if that's exciting or scary.  I'm pretty sure it's both.  I'm not necessarily excited to need the knowledge I've learned from some life experiences, but I am utterly grateful he's prepared me for what is to come.

-Zack

"'Anyway' she says, 'I'll see you around'"
-Vienna Teng

No comments:

Post a Comment