Saturday, March 6, 2010

L15: Home

For five years, I've been grappling with the idea, the theory, the essence of "home" and "home-ness." I've been all across the board as I've worked to come up with some sort of definition, with my ultimate decision being that the idea of home is at best a feeling and some kind of constructed necessity more than a naturally existing phenomena.

I don't quite retract all of those thoughts littered across many blog posts in many places, but I've been realizing more and more lately that the idea of home, whatever it is exactly, is something we're all going to at least long for, and I think that's ultimately tied into our deeper longing for belonging. "Home" itself isn't really anything. It doesn't have to be and really, it's just a name we've attached to all sorts of things over the years. "Home" itself is no sort of necessity at all, but there's an idea of belonging that goes with it to some degree that points toward a feeling of belonging, a feeling of comfort, a feeling ultimately, of love, and that is home, as we tend to define it. But you don't need a home to feel that. I've never felt that my part of Ohio is more home than I do now, but I live there as little as I ever have in my life too.

There is a linguistic use of "home" too, pointing to the place your parents are or the place you grew up, though that is quite literal, and quite boring, and ultimately, quite meaningless (quite ironically).

-Zack

"Claim the stars as ours, I know just where they'll be and what they'll say; they will sing"
-Mae

No comments:

Post a Comment