Saturday, September 26, 2009

I feel like I should have an addendum to last night's post, so that's what this is.

I was pretty wrong about this weekend.

It's been good.

But what isn't good? The movie "The Goods." I strongly recommend avoiding it....

It's funny sometimes, maybe even a lot, but it's also mostly a waste of time.

I'm not sure why comedy films seem to insist on a generally low level of quality.... but they seem to. Maybe it's just because unless I'm invested in the franchise to some degree (Harry Potter), I tend to stay away from the corporate, hollywood cash-movies, except for when it comes to comedy....and for good reason; I haven't seen an action film of that ilk worth watching since Chronicles of Riddick, and that has a sort of underground, graphic novel vibe so it's not even quite the huge, overblown production things like The Dark Knight (most overrated movie ever, by the way) or Spiderman 3 tend to be....to say nothing of the non-licensed material stuff....like Surrogates, which might be the worst movie of the year by leaps and bounds, if The Goods isn't.

That being said, despite the crudeness, Judd Apatow is a brilliant director and his movies actually are pieces of art....not all comedies are trash (and you have to differentiate between the Apatow written and the Apatow directed... that should go without saying, but we, as a movie watching country, have suddenly started giving ridiculously undue amounts of credit to screen writers...but tell me this: how much better is The Forty Year-Old Virgin than Pineapple Express? The answer? They aren't even close.... but Apatow wrote the latter and directed the former, and it really does make all the difference in the world).

But anything with Will Ferrell in it (and he has a bit part in the goods) or that looks like something he would be in never fails to be a laugh-a-minute train-wreck of a film.


So.... I used an addendum to last night's post as a cover for talking about film.

Sue me.

I spent the last year using a graduation requirement as the same thing.

-Zack

"Restoration frees us here"
-David Crowder Band

No comments:

Post a Comment