Sunday, January 23, 2011

The Melody

I've realized that I have a strange memory.  I don't know if it's altogether abnormal, natural, conditioned, extraordinary, or maybe even some kind of nuisance.  I think it's unconsciously selective or at least subjective.

I remember all sorts of things well, very well.  I can quickly take myself back to practically any day after a certain point in my life.  As long as a distinguishing event took place, I can get there.  Much of my life I have recorded, in writing, so maybe that helps.  A lot of the time though, I just remember things.  Certain types of things, I never really forget.

Sometimes, I lie to seem less extraordinary, or I withhold information.  Maybe that sounds too pompous...I don't know.  But it's true.  In order to not be the person who knows everything all of the time, I often don't say anything when I remember exactly the fact being recalled.

Sometimes, it makes me pretty tactless. I remember details people don't, but I think I expect them to remember things just like I do.  If you've been a victim of that from me, I apologize.

There are, of course, times when I remember things as they weren't, and that creates a problem as well; I rely too much on my memory and I argue, too quickly, too fiercely, for what I believe to be true even when it isn't.

But for some reason, I don't remember a lot of things.  I'm not, however, sure if that's an issue with the content or my own effort.  I often forget things I mean to bring along...very often.  I often forget things I need to do.  Generally speaking, I think I forget about thoughts and things having to do with the future.  That probably makes me a less than spectacular planner from time to time.  I'll resist delineating how that may or may not have to do with my MBTI preference, but it is unwaveringly certain that I'll rarely forget something that has happened but often forget things that have to do with events that have yet to take place.

So in light of, or perhaps retrospectively attached to, how well I generally remember things, I've started writing my life up to this point (or, perhaps, just as a designated end-point, the wedding on November 19th of this year).  I figured out that it only takes me about an hour to write 1000 words about my life.  That means I can write something novel length in just 50 hours, which means I can write for an hour each week and have something by the end of the year.  What that, then, means, I have no clue.  But I do know it will be an adventure.  In some ways, I have bits of it written and have for years.  In any event, I'm looking forward to looking back and tracing the line of God's faithfulness all the way through...that's probably the thought that makes it seem most massive.

-Zack

"When it comes to tools, fool, I'm a pep-boy"
-Rick Ross

1 comment:

  1. Sometimes, I remember things I've said before I say them; then when I do I feel like I'm repeating myself.

    ReplyDelete