Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Highs and Lows

This week I've become estranged to myself.

We've been talking about ethnicity at InterVarsity's fourth "Formation" for new staff training event in Great Lakes East.

Today, I realized that I haven't a clue how to deal with my identity.

Perhaps I'm white.  But that entails owning White privilege and I can't quite do that...because 1/4 of who I am, biologically, was oppressed near the point of obliteration...and I don't identify as Native because of that oppression, but in light of that, I can't quite own white privilege, I can't quite identify as fully white....probably because I'm not fully white.

But how can I identify as Native when I don't even know where to begin in saying much more than that it's 1/4 of my biological makeup.

So I'm in between, I've come up liminal in a discussion struggling to own what we are, because I feel like nothing.

But it's a lie, too, to say that I can't own white privilege.  I look, act, and was raised to be white.

So I guess I've found myself on a journey now...someday, I'll find out what that means, as soon as I can figure out where to start.

-Zack

"If everything comes down to love, then just what am I afraid of?
-Addison Road.

5 comments:

  1. It isn't the color or texture of your skin,
    It's your attitude that lets you win. -Denis Whately, motivational speaker

    Ok, maybe a cheesy phrase doesn't suffice. But identity is so much more than skin deep, you know?

    And I totally relate to your Addison Road quote. Thanks for sharing :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's true, but God made us as people with ethnicity so he wants us to be whole people in our given ethnicities. We are complete in him, but we're most complete when we're fully identified as the people he created us to be, which is as people of a certain culture or amalgam of cultures.
    -Zack

    ReplyDelete
  3. if you need a friend to converse with on growing up with some aspects of white privilege but actually encompassing multiple cultures, I know an ENFP you could talk to. Well, I would talk to you too but my experience is not as similar.

    --Paul

    ReplyDelete
  4. Paul... Always bringing it back to Myers Briggs :) Zack I appreciate your blog though I do think you should add pictures :)
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not a photographer. Other than the occasional video link, pictures would get in the way of my vibe. I don't write to inform, I write to survive.

    ReplyDelete