Saturday, April 3, 2010

L40: Wait

Why the middle day? If he had the power to resurrect, why stay dead one whole day?  There's retroactive poetry in the rising on a Sunday, or something like that depending on calendars and day calculation...but I only know how to work on that level, so I've always already flouted technicality.

I won't begin to know or try to figure out why there's a day between Good Friday and Easter, but I know it serves us well to observe today as something constant in our lives, in both the spiritual and practical sense.

It's the blankest day on the church calendar, and yet one of the most important.  Waiting, after all, is one of the keys to the Christian life.  The Kingdom of God is here but not yet, just as redemption is here but not yet when Christ has died but not yet resurrected.  Maybe today, as a remembrance of the day he actually did spend in the grave, is an analog for the space between ascension and return.

It doesn't matter, or at least matters very little, because metaphor is what you make it and it always has been.

I do know though, that of all I've felt called to by God, waiting, specifically and simply in general, has been the bulk of it.  We wait.  We wait in expectancy of what he will do, and he's promised us it will be glorious.  But yet, we must wait.  God places true value on the act of waiting, on the cultivation of patience.  "whys" don't apply, or at least I'm not the one to address them.  I just know it's the way things are, and I'll walk in it til he calls me to action, when he has called me to wait.

-Zack

"All I had was just a vision, all I had was my ambition.  Your love without condition kept me swinging when I'm missing"
-Mat Kearney

No comments:

Post a Comment