Friday, April 2, 2010

L39: Redemption

We live in a world that loves to break itself.  I feel it in me, from time to time, the urge to do something somehow self destructive without a second thought.  And the great lie, the greatest lie of all, is that it always starts as something good, at least for me.  I always think it's best for me, even at someone else's expense, but at least best for me.  But that's never true.  Acting on my own accord, to try, on my own, to find happiness, perhaps ironically, always ends in my own depravity.

But there is a hope, and today we celebrate it.  Heaven came down at Christmas but love is shown perfect and sacrifice supreme in Christ's death on the cross.  His ultimate selflessness lets us set right our constantly self-destructive selfishness.  It's counter intuitive, perhaps, but that itself is a mirage; his Kingdom his perfect and it's our broken world that's counter intuitive.  For now, it seems backwards, but I know it's right, that what's best for me is what's best for you, what's best for us, for me to give myself up, for me to become second.  Because that's what Christ did, that's what love is.  And in love, there is redemption.  In redemption, there is love.

We live in a world that loves the break itself, but God loves this world and loves to make it whole again.

-Zack

"No cars go where we know, between the click of the light and the start of the dream"
-The Arcade Fire

No comments:

Post a Comment