Thursday, November 19, 2009

So, I'm 22

And I'm glad my age is alliterative again. It's one of the best things that happens in one's life ever 11 years.

22 is a randomly significant number to me....

But that's not important at the moment.

Well, I guess if I was ever going to talk about it, now would be the time. I'm probably not ever going to talk about it.

One year ago today was one of the most eventful and exciting Birthdays I've ever had.

Today has been....lower key.

But that doesn't mean it has been bad.

Last year, I went to Chipotle with Mark and Audrey for dinner.... they paid for me even though I didn't ask them to do so. Tonight, my parents are taking me to dinner, paying, expectedly.

Last year, I had like, 5 drinks that I didn't pay for.

This year, I doubt I'll have any drinks, and if I did, I would most definitely be paying for them myself....of course, that probably won't happen because I had to pay for license plates today...and they are not cheap. That, and I'm not sure I would just go buy a bottle of wine or something and drink it in my room by myself after the office...because that's probably what would be happening.

It's a big week for Ohio State athletics.....it's one of those weeks where I kind of wish I went to Ohio State.... tonight, we've got a basketball game against North Carolina, in which Ohio State wins because they have experience and UNC doesn't, although UNC will probably be better at the end of the year.... it should make for a good ranking til sometime in January though.

Saturday is, of course, the Michigan game. It's the Michigan game about which I'm least enthused in recent memory. The only thing that matters is that it's Michigan...which is important, BUT there usually so much more, and it's that so much more that crafted this rivalry. Ohio State can lose and will still make the Rose Bowl. Last year, they were playing for the BCS berth at least. Actually, I'm going to go out on a limb and pick Michigan in a close upset.... it pains me to say it, but they're playing for everything, Ohio State is playing for nothing, and it's in Michigan. Rich Rodriguez won't get fired after next year's 3rd straight bad season thanks to the squeaker over the Big Ten champs that happens this Saturday.

While I'm on the subject of sports, I should mention that I will be surprised if the Cavs don't make the finals this year. They will probably have the 3rd or 4th best record in the East, but that team is too deep... if everyone is playing for everything, like happens in the playoffs, they aren't going to be beat. That does, de facto, mean I'm picking them to win it all. There's no way whoever comes out of the quickly-becoming-a-joke western conference, where the College of Wooster would be the best defensive team in the conference, is going to win it all this year.

I don't know if anyone who reads this cares about sports at all....but I do, and sometimes, I just need to say something, if you haven't noticed.

I won't say anything about the NFL, because the only thing I like about that league is the fact that they football and I like football. I hate the media surrounding it, I hate the rules, I hate the personalities, and I hate the passing game. I hate Brett Favre because he's a Viking. I love the Packers, but I hate that they don't have a running game. I started loving them because of their tradition and because Brett Favre was always as good as he was atop a true smash-mouth rushing attack. But now, they get less than 100 yards a game on the ground...and it's infuriating. My NFL version of "love the sinner, hate the sin" is "love the sport, hate the league."

But I love the game of basketball to the point that I could watch two small high schools from West Virginia play and I would probably enjoy it to some degree.

Some day, I'll either write an essay or a long blog post about hip hop. Or maybe a series of posts.

But I love that too.

-Zack

"I'm the reason Dre feel comfortable retirin"
-The Game

No comments:

Post a Comment