Thursday, June 25, 2009

Writing about things I don't understand...

There is a chapter in a book about fundraising, Getting Sent about why people give. It gives some pretty valid reasoning, and the basic point is that people are more prone to give to causes and belief structures than they are people. That's true. I've seen that exhibited as true.
But even so, there is something positively unpredictable about it all when you start thinking about who people are. It's true, they might be giving to the cause rather than to the person (in my case, that, of course, means me), but sometimes it still doesn't make sense...and that's part of the glorious faith-experience that is fund raising for the work of the Lord. There's a lot to it, when it comes to ability and amount, and it just doesn't make sense on that level a lot of the time. But I do know that God is faithful, and His upside down Kingdom is certain upside down for a reason. And, seemingly intangibly, I kind of know when it's going to be a good fund raising day/week and when it isn't. Part of what was most discouraging about last week was the ever-present feeling that it was going to be a bad week, then it was. Perhaps that's just me being pessimistic...but even without results, I felt like this would be a good week, and it kind of has been...perhaps just being better than the last two weeks makes it a good week too. That's unimportant really...I don't understand things, I just watch them happen and praise the Lord in the good times and the bad.

Fund Raising is a lot of work I have to do in faith...then it always seems like the work isn't the part that pays off, but the faith. Really, I am making progress, but it seems rare that that comes from a result of my phone-calls....most of the people I call are graciously uninterested, or simply not home. Then results come in from unexpected places...it's just the kooky rhythm of this whole thing...but it's working out.

I was a best man over the weekend, and it was a lot of fun. There are a few responsibilities to it that weren't too terribly hard. I imagine it could be worse, but I had about the calmest groom in the history of the world on my side, so it wasn't anything but wonderful. If you get or have a chance to be the member of a wedding party, look forward to it...it's awesome. I think this particular bride and groom probably enjoyed that day more than anyone else though...really, it was about the most smooth running event in which I have ever been at all involved. Nothing went wrong...really...nothing. And things just go wrong, I'm totally used to that. But not for this, and that was good. Certainly, the Lord was with even the execution of the days plans. It was great.

I think this blog would be a lot more interesting if I had a digital camera...oh well.

I probably use it too often, but facebook interests me so much...in an almost academic sense. Back when it all began in my life, we used to joke about how a relationship wasn't official until it was on facebook...now, I think that's probably true, as long as a relationship status is listed. It's just incredibly intersting that we get so much social info from an image of someone that that person basically honestly puts forth about him or herself...and I think facebook is capable of belying the truth about someone even if they try to hide it. I don't know why, but it does not seem myspace has that ability. There's just something I don't understand about how facebook works that elicits honesty and semi-integrity from people. I feel like I could pull of being someone else on myspace...I don't think I could do that so well on facebook...it's like the toality of society that is open but closed just enough around facebook substantiates things. I honestly feel like something being on facebook makes it more true than nearly every other way of finding it out...I don't know why, that's just something that goes with the territory. There's a culture, a style to facebook, but the scandal of it all is that it's not at all isolated; that culture is just a reflection, a very real and true reflection, of reality. I don't know...

If it comes down to dichotomies, most internet areas have an on-off switch, while facebook has an absence-presence structure...which I guess makes sense, because all of our being really is predicated, on this side of eternity, around absence-presence dichotomies.

-Zack
"Sometimes I get nervous when I see an open door. Close your eyes, clear your heart, cut the cord"
-The Killers

No comments:

Post a Comment