Thursday, June 18, 2009

A Slow Tumble Upward

And I'm satisfied in the waiting, just knowing something is happening somewhere, even when I don't see it.

That means a lot, specifically because it is ambiguous, and means nothing, all at once.

Long live the spirit of Jacques Derrida.

It's finally wedding weekend number 1.
The bigger of the two.

I wrote a best-man toast tonight. I'm not too sure of it's quality...It's not like I've got much experience with the form. It's not hard though right? And honestly, it's one of those just put effort into it and it can't be too bad sorts of things.....

I have the perfect number of Facebook friends: 777.

Slow week #2.
Let's hope it's the last stand of the slow FD weeks.

But patience is my number one need right now. Pray for that for me. And it's patience of the highest sort in just about every aspect of my life...yipee. But it's not something God will accept me not learning, I do believe.

I used to really care an argue about music....good or bad, I had an opinion and I wanted others to know what it was. But I heard fallout boy on the radio yesterday and listened all the way through, even enjoying it a bit. I think I'm a total music pluralist these days....depending on my mood, I know I can enjoy just about anything.

Even maybe Kathy Trocolli.

One of my favorite things about InterVarsity as of right now is the Xining Global Project. I went on it two years, and for two years running now, I've got good friends going. I don't know if it's right to pick favorite things to pray for...but if I had to, right now, I would pick that....not that anything is any less or more important, but the bond is there, and I am so excited to see what God does this year. Last year, while I was at SLT, my entire family group from China the year before was back in China...Lucia and Ben on the trip again, Laura spending the year there working. This year, Ben, Laura and I are back in the U.S., and Lucia is in Germany...and she has been for awhile and will be for awhile yet. Someday, I think, hopefully this fall, we can have a reunion of sorts. At least most of us...hopefully and maybe even probably all of us...we'll all be in Michigan. It's wonderful how God makes that happen.

I really don't have much to say...I just keep saying things because I say things.

My life feels like some kind of independent film ala Garden State. Living at home is weird...it's weird being in Ottawa and even just being with my parents, and seeing old friends...but its' all uncanny valley and what have you, wherein everything is so similar but so different, and that includes me. It's not bad...but it's weird.

It's very isolated feeling sometimes, and I'm not sure what to do about it...I have friends, and I do my best to talk to them...but at the end of the day, I do feel like I'm undertaking something sysiphusian in my FD efforts. I know that's not actually the case...but it's slow slow slow somedays, and I wake up to a day not too dissimilar to the day before, every day it seems. Someday, that won't be the case, I know, but right now, it is.

There are a couple of randomly occurring lights that have flickered on and off, in the predictablility of my day to day life...things like last night, where I caught up with a few friends I hadn't seen in years and learned to play bridge, or the night before, where I watched Nacho Libre with Peter....or random and amazing facebook messages or chats with people not around here....those really keep me going, so thanks to all of you that are any of those things...the cyclical life is the life I lead right now, and I'm not a huge fan. But it's not bad...it's just mundane sometimes. I do, indeed, love getting to see God move, however, and that's basically just part of my job...right now. I can't wait til it's part of my job and that means getting to see him transform lives. But I'll take miracles, no matter how "major" or "minor" they may be, or with whatever they involve.


I listen to a lot of non-English music these days. I think I just enjoy not having to think about lyrics sometimes...

-Zack

"When I sing a song of peace
It soothes a savage beast
Even it understands that I understand at least."
-Gnarls Barkley

No comments:

Post a Comment