Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Thoughts on the debt

I've tried to keep my generally uninformed opinion on the deficit crisis this country has been through, but I think I've got enough of a grasp and enough of an idea to chime in finally, even if cursorily.

As we all probably know, the deficit is at an all time high and without raising the "debt ceiling" we, as a nation, would default on our loans and the world would implode, or something like that.

As a died-in-the-wool liberal teetering on communist tendencies, I never wanted to see any social programs cut. I don't want anything that helps the disadvantaged to meet any sort of chopping block, and I proactively support increased spending to fight poverty and hunger here and abroad.  This crisis, of course, isn't the best backdrop to trumpet increased spending on anything, and I'll even leave my disgust at spending even 1/3rd of what we do on defense out of this for the time being.

I don't though, as someone who has some money, has had money, and will deal with money for the rest of my life, understand how a deficit defeated by cut spending alone, without increased income, is a form of "balance."  You've probably dealt with money before too.  There are, of course, two ways to increase the number in your bank account: spend less and/or bring in more.  The irrational, power-hungry, racist, classist, heartless tea party set  is convinced we take in more than enough in taxes to fund multiple unjust, expensive, imperial wars and to pay down the deficit.  The answer, of course, is selling our future as a nation short by defunding education for those who can't afford private schools and killing off the lower classes by literally making it impossible for lower-income people to pay for healthcare and food.  Taxes, apparently, are a greater enemy than preventable disease and unjust suffering by millions around the globe.

It appears to me that they've basically won by dragging their feet.  I'm going to vote for Obama and every democrat on the ballot next year, but I'm disappointed in all of them for giving in to the tyrants.  The tea party runs on a platform of standing up for the commoner and fighting the special interest, and yet, the only constiuents that gain anything from their ideology are those with the most money.  That's reprehensible and I'm ashamed to live in a country that watches out for the richest people first and hopes for trickle down.  Trickle down doesn't work and it never will, because, if nothing else, we can always count on greed and human nature to take advantage of the powerless.

-Zack

"Let me tell you what little I know and if it's worth something, spread it indeed"
-K'naan

1 comment:

  1. "The irrational, power-hungry, racist, classist, heartless tea party set is convinced we take in more than enough in taxes to fund multiple unjust, expensive, imperial wars and to pay down the deficit. The answer, of course, is selling our future as a nation short by defunding education for those who can't afford private schools and killing off the lower classes by literally making it impossible for lower-income people to pay for healthcare and food. Taxes, apparently, are a greater enemy than preventable disease and unjust suffering by millions around the globe. "

    Like.

    ReplyDelete