Thursday, July 9, 2009

Just somebody that I used to know....

I actually had a title that "meant" something in mind yesterday....but I forgot what it was by the time right now rolled around. So, in typical fashion, I grabbed a lyric...this time, from Elliott Smith.

Let it mean something if you want, who am I to judge?

I think the greatest fallacy, or well, misunderstanding about non-formalist, non-modern ideology is it's deference to the sub-concious. That's really why you can attach your own meaning to something....because you're paying respects to the notion that the artist might have absolutely no idea how much something could mean when they write it.

anyway....

When I think about it, it's weird to be doing "nothing" during July. I mean, not really nothing...but really, compared to my last two Julys, this one is decidedly less exciting. But China and SLT...well, you're not going to beat that.

"How goes the funding?" you ask. Well....I wish I knew...well, I know. But a lot of right now feels more like waiting than doing. I've few contacts left to follow up with...and let's just say they're not the highest priority contacts for a reason. But God does work surprises and miracles for a reason!

College made me forget how to really relax. Or something. I don't know...I just feel very without anything to do most of the time...and I don't mean I'm "bored" because I have things I could do as far as entertainment goes...I just feel like I don't have things of all that much importance to do. Just my funding...which is how it's supposed to be right now...but it's easy to run out of things to do with that a lot...a lot a lot. That and I have a weird sleep schedule now that I've tried to get rid of but am doing better at giving in to. Last night, I went to bed at 8:00. I was glad I was tired, and hoped I would be able to sleep til at least 3 a.m.....not quite. I woke up at 12 and stayed up til 9, then slept, basically, til 2:30....the worst part about it all, is that it doesn't really matter that much right now, so I'm really failing at doing anything about it. My prediction for tonight, which is probably really off, is that I get to sleep around 4 and sleep til 11:30. That would probably be good...compared to last night.


I am really satisfied with what is going to be basically my first real "prayer letter." It's basically finished...should get it out by the end of next week, so keep your eyes open for it! Well, presumably, although I guess I don't necessarily know *everyone* that reads this.

I don't know how much I've shared, but both of my parents are currently looking for jobs. This has been a good week as far as that goes...my dad had an interview yesterday, he has another tomorrow, and my mom has one Monday. So praise the Lord for that, and pray that they become fruitful experiences! Both of my dad's interviews were in Fort Wayne....soo..that might be where my family is headed.

I'm happy to kind of announce that there will be another IV intern at Hillsdale next year...his name is Jason, he's a graduate of Hillsdale with a current-student girlfriend...he was an intern at a church last year and wanted to stay in the area, so he'll be onboard as well, and I'm really excited about that. It means the only staff at Hillsdale often won't be someone with no background in the place and a very steep learning curve. (That's me, by the way...)

I've had the privilege of sharing at a couple of churches so far this summer, and it's a fun experience. I think it's one of my favorite parts of fund raising so far....I hope I get to do more and more of it as my career progresses....I'm sure I probably will. Heck, it's something I was doing with Annie for Wooster before I was ever accepted to InterVarsity staff, so I'm pretty sure it's a major part of the territory surrounding staffwork, and I know it goes hand in hand with missionary work all of the time.

I don't know what to make of politics anymore. I have facebook friends who have both strongly approved and strongly disapproved of Barack Obama on the facebook approval poll...I'm kind of sad that even exists, but anyway...only time will tell, really....I don't think we can do one or the other yet when it comes to the economy....he didn't get us into this mess, that's for sure....it's up to him to get us out of it though, that is also certain. So we'll see. And I cannot tolerate the conservative outcry over his talks with the "enemies of America." Since when is war preferable to diplomacy? Since when are our hardline ideals more important than keeping people with nuclear weapons from hating us? If I were president, I would definitely negotate with Terrorists. Not because I condone their actions...but precisely because I don't. But, if I were a politician, that would also mean I wouldn't be who I am today, and that probably means I'd still be a party-line conservative....

-Zack
"Hear the call peace fall
From trial to triumph I want your hand in it all
Allow me to know where to stand in it all"
-John Reuben

1 comment:

  1. I can relate to part of your last paragraph. I too have recently noticed Christians on the web using terms like 'negotiating with the Enemy' and I am similarly perplexed. My favorite was when some tried to relate it all back to how do you treat a bully on the playground. The suggestion given was that you need to bloody the bully's nose. I suppose my piece of advice to you Zack is to remember: everyone who doesn't agree with us (America) is the Enemy and there are consequences for such indiscretions.

    Peace.

    ReplyDelete