Wednesday, July 9, 2014

An oddly plausible theory on LeBron's return #illuminati #lafamilia

As I walked back to work from Walnut Wednesday today, I put on the old iPhone.  I'm not too embarassed to admit that I have a potential LeBron's return pump up playlist.  It's mostly music from the LeBron era in Cleveland that I associated with the NBA and Cavs games (for instance "Put On" by Young Jeezy- the intro song they played at the Q back then).  Among them is "Run this Town" by Jay-Z, featuring Rihanna and Kanye.  There's a line in the first verse I had to relisten to, and it made me rethink the whole song.  Context determines meaning friends, and this song has a new meaning for me today.

Pause though.  Before I jump into the song itself, there was a little uproar when twitter realized this:



As far as I've been able to tell, those are the only three NBA player twitter profiles with La Familia on them.  It's kind of a stretch, but we're talking about the game of shadows that is NBA free agency.  Every clue is a lead and every lead is a leak. 

Back to Run this Town:  Near the end of the first verse, Jay-Z says "This is la familia, I'll explain later, but for now let me get back to this paper."    You'll see that it doesn't make a ton of sense in that context either.  Whatever it means, it seems our only hope for an explanation is Jay-Z's eventual story. 

Whether or not Jay-Z does indeed explain later is immaterial.  In the context of Run This Town it seems that La Familia is talking about the way a group of people do things to "run this town" and "get back to runnin circles round these (expletive omitted)" 

LeBron and Jay-Z have something of a relationship.  Whatever it is is fairly unclear, but you can be certain LeBron's a fan of the music.  I'm sure he's heard "run this town" plenty of times. 

Could he have adopted the thinly veiled "code word" from Jay-Z (who, it should be said, features two of his most prominent label mates in the song.  Kanye and Rihanna are the two most readily described as the "we" in "la familia")?  Could LeBron be telegraphing something based on "Run this Town?"  It's possible.  I don't know if its probable.  But LeBron's had a well-documented longing, establishment, and loyalty to his family and friends.  He wrote a book about it.  His twitter profile and website drip with it. 

I don't know if its far fetched or a little bit genius- Run This Town turned 5 years old two days before the NBA draft.  Who remembers a throwaway Jay-Z line from one of his worst albums?  LeBron would, if he's longing to get back to Cleveland and join la familia.

This is all probably hogwash.  But the best part about all of this is that some people might think it's true if LeBron comes back.  Half of us get to be right no matter how much we're making up. 

That's the best and worst thing about NBA free agency and twitter.

-Zack

No comments:

Post a Comment