Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Will you come alive, everyone?

I've never adjusted to a new place this well before. Maybe it's because all of my other new places were automatically stress filled silos of high-expectation.

It's not that I don't have high-expectations here. It's not that I don't have stress. But transitioning to Hillsdale feels more like the lift-off after a rocky ride down the runway then the turbulent landing that was moving home after college, or the typhoon of newness that was moving away from home for the first time when I first moved in at Wooster.

I wouldn't trade a second of my life for anything at this point.

It's unfair really, that I get to be a part of God's grand mission so readily, so openly, so quickly. I could list a lot of things not to like about Hillsdale, but I could list more to love, and one of the lovable things is a deep sense of passion and calling the student-leaders seem to share here. It is a humbling privilege to be a part of all of this, and I've barely even begun.

Sure, I miss home. I miss curry, I miss the library, I miss people I love. But I can feel, undoubtedly, that this, all of this I'm in right now, is more that just right. I don't know what more than right means, but I've felt rightness before and sometimes that's hard. There's nothing hard about this rightness. It's bigger than right.

Words are so insufficient.

For 8 days now, I've been learning not to sell myself short on my dreams, not to sell myself short on the bigness of the life God's placed before me. When I was but a first-year student, at the OVD Spring conference (if you don't know what that means, you probably don't care, and if you do know, I don't have to explain it), someone, (I don't know who and I don't know his role at the conference), spoke, I believe, as if from the Lord, and he said "the things you see in your dreams are not just visions of the sweet bye-and-bye. God intends something bigger for your life." I don't remember much from that conference, but I remember that moment.

I think I've been selling my dreams for pennies on the dollar. Or had been.

But there is life in pursuing them, there is life in the calling God has placed on our lives. I do no mean life as the opposite of death, but life as the act of being alive.

There is a place where dreams take flight, and it is beautiful, but you'll never get there on your own.

-Zack

"Get up out of bed for the sound of the song unsung"
-John Mark McMillan

No comments:

Post a Comment