Friday, January 25, 2013

Week 3: Every New Day

In my life, I've had three interviews that did not render me the job for which I interviewed- the first at Burger King, the summer before my first year at Wooster.  I think I didn't get the job because I wore shorts to the interview (in my defense, it was a hot summer day, and they were nice shorts).  Realistically, it was probably also because I was leaving for school a couple of months later.  Similarly, the following summer, before landing a horrific job at Wal*Mart, I interviewed at Arbys and was summarily turned down because "college is great and all, it's good to go after what you think your dreams are, but we're looking for people who won't be going away."  I didn't hold it against them.  It was still my favorite fast food joint in Ottawa for the remainder of my time in Ottawa (which, after that summer, was spotty at best, to say the least).  A few years later, I interviewed at Meijer in Lima, while fundraising.  They turned me down because my chance of someday leaving in the future just wasn't worth the risk.  Their loss.  Ironically, I ended up working a very much seasonal position at the Meijer in Findlay later that year and, were that not the case, may not have ever met Alexandra.

Oh how the cogs, they turn.

Otherwise, I've received a job offer from every single interview I've ever had.  My most recent alighting upon me this afternoon.

Last December (the 21st), I frantically went from department store to department store to find a suit, because I had an interview at, quite literally, the best possible clerkship in Cleveland, at least as I see things.

Sherwin Williams, the world's leading paint manufacturer and retailer, and one of Cleveland's flagship corporations was hiring a litigation clerk in their corporate offices.  It's a well-paid position that extends through next school year- paid law-related positions for people just out of their first year are white buffalo.  Few exist, so the competition is stiff and the deadlines harsh.

But Wooster came through again for me.  Sherwin Williams liked my IT background (and didn't care about my I.S.; sorry, Grant), and got me in for an interview before the deadline for applications even passed.

One of my "to do before school starts" items was purchasing the aforementioned professional suit, for the spring interview season.  If you've never bought a man's professional suit, give yourself some time- they have to hem the pants (at least) before its even wearable.

To make matters worse, I only have brown dress shoes (Size 16-17 doesn't afford many options, and I like brown, so that's what I have).  On a night's notice, getting new shoes was literally impossible.

If you're following, I was out, wherever I could be that might sell professional clothing, looking for a suit that went with my oddball shoes, less than 24 hours before an interview for my dream 1L summer position.

I went to Dillards- far too expensive generally, and definitely not readily selling suits off-the-rack ready to wear.

But, by an act of God, they had a suit that fit in every single way, save for the unhemmed pants.  I hope whomever helped me (she had her own law school dreams early in life apparently, though her name now escapes) got paid commission- because she was resourceful and helpful.  One of her coworker's mothers just so happens to run an alteration shop.   The shop was closed, but she got him to pull some strings with his mom, gave me the address, and sent me on the way.  My interview was at 10:30.  At 9:00 a.m., I was waiting outside of their shop for the door to open, so I could retrieve my suit, hurry downtown (park too, at Tower City no less, then walk), and do the interview.

But I made it.  It was the most laid-back interview I've ever had.

But I guess it worked.

Save for those three times, I'm still running a pretty good average on the interview/job offer ratio.

So I don't have to worry about getting a job this summer anymore- I've got one.  Most of my classmates (or all, as far as I know) haven't interviewed anywhere yet.  Indeed, few have applied.

But that stressful part is over.

It feels like I've reached the top of the mountain today.  Of course I haven't.  This is just the beginning of my legal career (all of the orientation "your legal career starts now" speeches, that started as soon as winter visit day last year, before some of us had ever taken the LSAT notwithstanding)- but it is a good beginning.  Indeed, it's as good a beginning as I'd ever wish.

This summer and next school year, I'll be in the same building where the "We are all Witnesses" poster once hung (and was consequently fire-bombed by drunk Cavs fans in June 2010).  Even now, when I step back and think about it, I can't help but laugh- the ghost of LeBron haunts me still, in some menial, neutered way.

It's a major step on the path, to be sure.  And as I think about it (LeBron included), it's obvious that a light's been leading me along the whole way.  I could take the side most law students, personality-wise would, and claim credit for the early and great job-search success.  But how dishonest would that be?  Were I not rejected by the Meijer in Lima in 2009, and accepted by the one in Findlay, I'd never have met Alexandra, I wouldn't be in law school, and I wouldn't have a remarkable summer job to celebrate right now.  The fact is I'm not in control of my life anymore than I'm allowed to be, by our Father in heaven- and though hindsight is so characteristically 20/20, I can't help but realize He's been behind it all- the ups and the downs, all the way through, to today, this summer, and beyond.  I could take the evangelistic tactic here and say it's because I've had "such great faith" that He's intervened for me.  But I won't do that either- I've had the measure of faith He's allowed me, and trust me, I've screwed the pooch on that one countless times.  But he's deigned to bless me in so many ways, so many times, even when I don't count it as such.  This is just one more of those.  I will, however, be the stereotypical liberal activist with it, and quote spiderman- with great power comes great responsibility- and I've got to do my part now, from this/these blessings I've been given, and do something for God, His Kingdom, and the city of Cleveland.

-Zack

"I can, with one eye squinted, take it all as a blessing"
-Flannery O'Connor

No comments:

Post a Comment