Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Wanna play with my Tesla Coil?

The White Stripes officially broke up today.  That might not mean much of anything to most of you.  Really, it doesn't ultimately much to me either.  The recordings still exist and life goes on.  But it's kind of a passing era for me, personally.  I've liked bands that have broken up already and whatever.  But the White Stripes were, if there was any, the band of my high school years.  They, more than any other band, are forever linked to those times for me.  I remember downloading videos of them playing live (pre-youtube...) and feeling like my mind was completely expanded by their free-wheeling, tight, explosive sound...from two people..one of them simply being a genius that, no matter how simplistic the concept, continuously provided a sound that was unique and refreshing....and unrelentingly artistic.  They led me to the blues which led me to classic rock and to the blues...somewhere in that whole interchange I released all genre-allegiances and started listening to anything and everything.  It probably wasn't that simple, but I know I wouldn't be the music listener I am today without the White Stripes...who knows, I might not be the person I am today.

While I was in China, there were two songs that I sort of clung to...one, which absolutely revolutionized how I listen to music was "X Gon give it to ya" by DMX, which got me listening to Hip Hop at all.  But the other was Icky Thump by the White Stripes...probably their last great song (on an admittedly lackluster album).

There might not be another band made up of a divorced couple with no other members that somehow has a stage rapport with one another bordering on the intensely intimate.

And....well, there's this:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8V4O9wBQc4

And this:





Anyway you cut it....it's a passing of a band that I let impact me, that I let, to some degree, become a part of me.  I also realized recently that I'm as old as my mom was when I was born.

I'm getting older.

And yet, there is so much to look forward to....

-Zack


"Why don't you kick yourself out you're an immigrant too"
-The White Stripes

1 comment: