Monday, January 26, 2009

I don't think I have any readers....

It's a lot harder to tell if anyone is reading or not without comments than it was on Xanga. Biggest difference number 1.

I should probably even explain the migration at all.

After all, just about everyone with a blog I've ever read is on Xanga. The difference is, everyone with a blog that ever updates these days is on this google/blogger/blogspot/all-that-is-blogdom interface. Of course, I don't think any of them ever read my xanga page, so I might have migrated to the realm of marginalized, readerlessness.

But that is alright. I won't lie and tell you that I didn't make the move because I thought I had a chance for more readers here. To be honest, I don't think I had but a couple of readers that should be loyal enough to read this instead (and I honestly think this is a more reader-friendly interface), so it's not like I've lost much if anything, and the potential for gain is larger. Xanga gain, if it was going to come, was going to come from random xangaites picking my page up for whatever reason, and that isn't exactly what I want.

I'm kind of all for random people deciding your writing is interesting enough to read, but it's not the goal by any means.

What is the goal anyway?

Well, I think every blog has a different goal. The majority of them that I read are people that are abroad journaling/posting pictures and that's nice. Some of them are just funny ala stuff Christians like, and some are about basketball (I'll admit that's probably most of what I read, but that's on ESPN, not here), and some are pictures of the day.

But I write to write. I can't even refer to this as a blog. I'll refer to yours as one, but I can't do that for me. Online journal perhaps....online journal for mass perusal, yes, but not a "blog." That just sounds like a disgusting word.

But I will call this style of writing that I'm currently engaging in "blogging," as in talking directly to you. Mostly, I talk to no one.

I just write.

I just have to.

Twitter/facebook statuses are called microblogs, so a blog is, I guess, the story of your life, documented, by you. Some day, someone will collect a bunch of blog entries into an autobiography.

I don't think you could do that to me very well, even though I've had a "blog" (as a thing, not an idea) since about the beginning of my dating life, the summer before my junior year of High School. Maybe for awhile, but not recently, was what I did "blogging."

Publishing, I guess, is what I could call it, when I'm doing what I do.
Or just expressing.

Being post-modern is so annoying when you're trying to name things. But that's the point really.

Sometimes, in my mind, I call them imprints of the soul.

Post-modernity gives credence to things that would otherwise be judged as base, classless, banal, or unimportant. As a result, it's largely a vicious cycle of granting agency to immature people demanding agency who grow up and see such neediness as immaturity, but have realized that you can't remove agency from anyone with the proper ethical stance. If you think there is no proper ethical stance with post-modernity, you don't understand post-modernity.

It's more a question of definition than reality.

And that's really where Jesus comes in.

And the Centurion.

Luke 7:1-10. Come to Oasis this Thursday, Lowry 120 at 7 p.m. to find out more.

-Zack
"Nothing's like before"
-Simple and Clean, Utada Hikaru

No comments:

Post a Comment